Meals on Wheels Guidelines
Meals are delivered between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. and are available Monday through Friday (excluding statutory holidays). For your safety, volunteers cannot leave meals outside your door if you are not home.
- Commit to a minimum order of five deliveries upon starting the program
- Be home for delivery between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- Give notice of intent to cancel a meal before noon of the previous business day.
Meals & Prices:
- Hot Western Meal - $7.00 (entree, soup & crackers and a dessert) Red meat and non-Red meat options available; see the "non-red meat" menu for vegetarian options.
- Hot Chinese Meal - $7.25 (Includes either fish, pork, chicken, beef or tofu; Chinese tonic soup; steamed rice; No MSG).
- Frozen Entree $6.00.
- Frozen Breakfast $5.50.
- Sandwich & Fruit Pack $3.75 (in addition to another meal order).
- Invoices are mailed to clients or to a third party at the end of each month
- Payment methods
- Cheque (payable to "Health and Home Care Society of BC)
- Money order
- In person at our office (exact payment only please - no change provided)
- If you plan to eat your Hot Meal later in the day, please put it in the refrigerator right away.
- We have switched the containers for your meals. Our trays are now recyclable, so you will no longer need to return the trays to our volunteers, but instead, you may now dispose of them with your other household recycling.
- Reheat in a conventional oven at 350°F, or in a toaster oven at 325°F for 15-20 minutes.
- To microwave, remove top foil and cover the dinner tray with paper towel.
- If frozen meal is thawed first, decrease time by at least half.
- Re-heating instructions are meant to be general guidelines only. Actual reheating times may vary.
- It is better to underheat than to overheat. Try reheating foods with a reduced time and add more cooking time if required.
- DO NOT re-freeze thawed meals.
- For best results, meals should be eaten by the Best Before Date indicated on the lid.
Statutory holidays: There is no meal delivery available on the following Statutory Holidays*. Please be sure to order yourself sufficient meals in advance!
January – New Year’s Day
February - Family Day
March/April – Good Friday
May – Victoria Day
July – Canada Day
August – BC Day
September – Labour Day
October – Thanksgiving Day
November – Remembrance Day
December – Christmas Day & Boxing Day (except when Christmas Day and Boxing Day create a 4-day weekend. In that case, meals will be delivered on Boxing Day)
- *Refer to your calendar for dates.